I will speak for her! Will you?
Have you ever met anyone that has been molested as a child? I have. The disgrace, loneliness, fear, and worst of all the feeling this atrocity somehow made them dirty and they can’t wash it off.
There is so much shame that many who feel shackled by this don’t want to speak up. As the cloud of misery hovers over them they shut down, and that’s when the fighter in me begins to well up! Deep inside and I just want to cry out, “I will speak for you! I will fight for you!”
One of the jobs of the ancient church was to be a voice for those who couldn’t speak for themselves. Too many so-called Christians have abandoned this. They have turned aside from the hard issues because they are too messy or too political.
We stand on the door of one of the greatest seasons of the sporting year, Super Bowl Sunday. In the dark shadows of this incredible event lurks one of our worst annual atrocities, child prostitution. Girls (and boys) stolen from all over the world are brought here to be sold as slaves. As we celebrate, cheer, and plow through our chips and dip, lives are truly being torn apart behind closed doors.
Check out these global statistics from the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Justice, International Labor Organization:
- An estimated 21 million children, women, and men are caught in the cycle of trafficking.
- Every minute, two children are sold into slavery.
- The average cost of a slave is $90.
- The average age of entry into the sexual exploitation industry is 12 years old.
- Approximately 80% of trafficking victims are women, and up to 50% are children.
- Total yearly profits generated by human trafficking is $32 billion.
Will you be a voice?
Will you speak for them?
I get it. What do you say? How do you raise awareness on something like this? When does this topic come up in conversation? Even if you did talk about it, what could you do?
Here are three things that you can do right now!
- Share this. Facebook, twitter, email—I don’t care. If it’s hard for you to say, let me say it for you!
- Be aware. Keep your eyes open and don’t be afraid to report. It isn’t just the Super Bowl—it’s in our own backyard.
- Help support organizations that fight this! Here is one you can use if you like. I want to do something really out of the box, know I personally get NOTHING from this. Our church is in great financial shape, in fact our main campus is debt free and since nothing given has to pay for overhead (staff, buildings etc.), we can send every penny we receive through our missions fund to Emergency Aftercare Centers. Here young girls will be rehabilitated, taught a skill as a means for income, and brought back into society. For the next two weeks EVERYTHING donated at www.give.encountertrinity.com under the tab “SILENT NO MORE” is designated to give a voice to those who have none. Will you join us? Even if you can’t please pass this along!
So here is the real question…I know I will speak for her. Will you?
*The picture is on behalf of http://www.worldhope.org the same organization that is starting the Emergency Aftercare Centers.